Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Living Like Financial Royalty

Over the past several months I have come to a very important realization -- I am spoiled.

When people hear that, they often shudder. Images come to mind of rotten little kids throwing a tatrum in the middle of a grocery store until their parents submit and give them the candy they've been screaming for. The idea of being "spoiled" always puts a bad taste in our mouths.

However, may I propose that it shouldn't? May I even go so far as to suggest that we begin living as spoiled children? I'm not suggesting that we become rude, selfish, and self-absorbed... but I'm talking of a Kingdom principle.

I have found that in my life I have never (not even once) found myself in lack of anything. I'm speaking in terms of everything from spiritual, to physical, to especially financial areas of my life. Have I always been able to buy anything on a whim? No. But that is not the definition of "not being in lack." I have always had every need provided for abundantly.... and I could never explain it until now.

People constantly bring their problems before me -- especially their financial problems. The common theme played out before my eyes is "if I only had a little more money I could do more for the Kingdom" or "I don't have enough money to do the things God's called me to do." It all revolves around not having enough.

Here is my point: The mindset of "not having enough" is the mindset of a Pauper. If you find yourself constantly worrying about where the next bill is coming from, or how you're gonna to finance your life, or how if you only had more money you'd be okay... you're living like a poor man in the kingdom of a rich man.

You're living below your birthright.

You were born into Royalty. You are the Son or Daughter of a King. That makes you a Prince or a Princess. How did you become one? You married the Son of the King most High. God is your Father. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills. Get this: YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING.

You have the right and the obligation to live out of a spoiled mindset -- out of the idea that you can have anything of Heaven at your hands right now. You only have to access it by faith. You have the right and the obligation to write the check first, and say, "Don't worry, my Dad will take care of it." You have the right and obligation to give abundantly to those who really are in need (which is an important subject that I will post about next).

When you're walking around in your daily life, you represent a God who has no lack or need. So why do you live like you have lack and need?

I'm telling you -- the provision will very rarely come first. It starts with the mindset that you have everything at your beck and call. That includes angels for spiritual matters (like healing -- God's servants can be sent at your whim to heal whomever you ask for.. did you know that?)

Some people get offended when I talk like that simply because they think being a Christian means living poor and "humble." Did you know that what most people consider as "humility" is really insecurity? It's false humility. It's actually Pride. Humility comes when you have a correct understanding of who you are and what you deserve (it requires good self-esteem) and yet you choose to take less and honor others above yourself. That's humility. Remember, it doesn't honor the artist to demean the painting. Living poor and humbly means knowing that you deserve all the riches of the Kingdom of Heaven, and yet when the check comes you take half of it and give it to the poor. That is humility.

Know that you have the riches of the Kingdomo of Heaven (according to HIS riches in glory!) available to you at all times.

To not live out of an understanding that you have financial freedom is to live out of a mindset of Greed. You hoard what you have because you don't know if there is more coming. That kind of living is how the world gets a grip on you. It's that precise thinking that the Lord warns about when He says that you can't love God and Mammon. You can't serve a God who has given you everything when you think there isn't enough... because you aren't trusting Him to provide -- you're trusting your paycheck.

When I decided to go into "full-time ministy" people would always tell me, "Wow you must really be living by faith (financially)!" Which is true... I do trust God for my paycheck. But at the same time, are they assuming that someone who works a 9-5 job isn't living by faith? Everyone lives by faith financially. The problem is they're either having faith in God to provide for them, or they're having faith that they're paycheck will cover all their needs. They're either trusting God, or they're trusting money. My theory is that the paycheck will never be enough. My theory is that God will always be enough.

And lastly, like I said earlier -- the provision rarely comes first. What I mean is that if you are waiting to give to the poor, or to do something you feel the Lord is calling you to do until the "money appears in your bank account," please think twice. Realize that you're called to live like royalty and that you can write the check first, in faith, knowing your Dad has your back.

I've had countless encounters with people telling me that they had no money to do something they knew the Lord was calling them to do, so they "wrote the check" anyway, and immediately were "backed up" with miraculous finances. God, the King, doesn't leave His kids in the dust. He has no problem promoting people and giving them riches and wealth -- but He won't give it to people who aren't ready. Meaning -- He won't give it to you if you think like a pauper. He'll give it to you when you're ready to think like a King.

No comments: